Arduino Uno vs Mega?
What are differences between Arduino Uno and Mega from application point of view? Is Arduino Uno code can run on Arduino Mega?
- Arduino Mega is the upgrade version of Arduino Uno.
- Arduino Mega is more powerful than Arduino Uno.
- Arduino Mega can do whatever Arduino Uno can do.
- Arduino Mega can do what Arduino Uno cannot do.
- Arduino Mega can run Arduino Uno code, except for some exception cases
- Arduino Mega can use shields that Arduino Uno can use.
- Arduino Mega can use libraries that Arduino Uno can use.
- Memory: Arduino Mega has much more memory than Uno. If Uno does not have enough memory for your application, use Mega instead
- Number of IO pins: Arduino Mega has much more digital input/output, analog input than Uno. If Uno does not have enough IO pins for your application, use Mega instead.
- Number of serial (UART) port: Arduino Mega has 4 serial ports, while Arduino Uno has only one. If your application needs more than one serial port, use Mega instead.
※ NOTE THAT:
- SPI interface: SPI pins (MOSI, MISO, SCK, SS) are different between Arduino Uno and Mega. Howerver, SPI code of Uno can run on Mega without modification if SPI device connect to Arduino Mega via ICSP header. For example, Ethernet Shield code that works on Uno will work on Mega.
- I2C interface:
- If you connect I2C device to pin A4 and A5 of Uno, you need to change the wiring when you switch to Arduino Mega
- If you connect I2C device to pin 18 and 19 of Uno, you do not need to do any modification (pin 18 (SDA) and 19 (SCL) on UNO have the same position with pin 20 (SDA) and 21(SCL) on Mega)
This anwser does not go in depth the differences between Uno and Mega. It is unnecessary from application point of view.
|1 × Arduino UNO Buy on Amazon|
|1 × Arduino MEGA Buy on Amazon|