Remainder operation calculates the remainder when one integer is divided by another. It is useful for keeping a variable within a particular range (e.g. the size of an array). The % (percent) symbol is used to carry out remainder operation.
remainder = dividend % divisor;
- remainder: variable. Allowed data types: int, float, double.
- dividend: variable or constant. Allowed data types: int.
- divisor: non zero variable or constant. Allowed data types: int.
※ NOTES AND WARNINGS:
- The remainder operator does not work on floats.
- If the first operand is negative, the result is negative (or zero).
Therefore, the result of x % 10 will not always be between 0 and 9 if x can be negative.