Looks for the next valid integer in the incoming serial. The function terminates if it times out (see Serial.setTimeout()).
Serial.parseInt() inherits from the Stream utility class.
- Parsing stops when no characters have been read for a configurable time-out value, or a non-digit is read;
- If no valid digits were read when the time-out (see Serial.setTimeout()) occurs, 0 is returned;
- Serial: serial port object. See the list of available serial ports for each board on the Serial main page.
- lookahead: the mode used to look ahead in the stream for an integer. Allowed data types: LookaheadMode. Allowed lookahead values:
- SKIP_ALL: all characters other than digits or a minus sign are ignored when scanning the stream for an integer. This is the default mode.
- SKIP_NONE: Nothing is skipped, and the stream is not touched unless the first waiting character is valid.
- SKIP_WHITESPACE: Only tabs, spaces, line feeds, and carriage returns are skipped.
- ignore: used to skip the indicated char in the search. Used for example to skip thousands divider. Allowed data types: char
- The next valid integer. Data type: long.
※ NOTES AND WARNINGS:
Serial functions are not only used for the communication between an Arduino board and Serial Monitor of Arduino IDE but also used for the communication between:
- An Arduino board and other Arduino board
- An Arduino board and other sensors/devices
- An Arduino board and computer (any Serial software on computer)