Returns the next byte (character) of incoming serial data without removing it from the internal serial buffer. That is, successive calls to peek() will return the same character, as will the next call to read().
Serial.peek() inherits from the Stream utility class.
- Serial: serial port object. See the list of available serial ports for each board on the Serial main page.
- The first byte of incoming serial data available (or -1 if no data is available). Data type: int.
※ NOTES AND WARNINGS:
Serial functions are not only used for the communication between an Arduino board and Serial Monitor of Arduino IDE but also used for the communication between:
- An Arduino board and other Arduino board
- An Arduino board and other sensors/devices
- An Arduino board and computer (any Serial software on computer)