Arduino - LCD 20x4
In this Arduino LCD 20x4 I2C tutorial, we will learn how to connect an LCD 20x4 (Liquid Crystal Display) to the Arduino board via I2C Interface.
|1||×||Arduino UNO or Genuino UNO|
|1||×||USB 2.0 cable type A/B|
|1||×||(Optional) 9V Power Adapter for Arduino|
|1||×||(Recommended) Screw Terminal Block Shield for Arduino Uno|
Or you can buy the following sensor kit:
|1||×||DIYables Sensor Kit 30 types, 69 units|
About LCD I2C 16x2
LCD 20x4 I2C uses I2C interface, so it has 4 pins:
- GND pin: needs to be connected to GND (0V).
- VCC pin: the power supply for the LCD, needs to be connected to VCC (5V).
- SDA pin: I2C data signal
- SCL pin: I2C clock signal
LCD I2C 16x2 includes 20 columns and 4 rows. the conlums and rows are indexed from 0.
This image is created using Fritzing. Click to enlarge image
|LCD I2C||Arduino Uno, Nano||Arduino Mega|
How To Program For LCD I2C
Thanks to the LiquidCrystal_I2C library, the using LCD is a piece of cake.
- Include the library:
- Declare a LiquidCrystal_I2C object with I2C address, the number of columns, the number of rows:
- Initialize the LCD.
- Move cursor to the desired position (column_index, row_index)
- Print a message to the LCD.
※ NOTE THAT:
The I2C address of LCD can vary according to the manufacturers. In the code, we used 0x27 that is specified by DIYables manufacturer
On Arduino IDE, Go to Tools Manage Libraries
- Search "LiquidCrystal I2C", then find the LiquidCrystal_I2C library by Frank de Brabander
- Click Install button to install LiquidCrystal_I2C library.
- Copy the above code and open with Arduino IDE
- Click Upload button on Arduino IDE to upload code to Arduino
- See the result on LCD
- Try modifying text and position
We are considering to make the video tutorials. If you think the video tutorials are essential, please subscribe to our YouTube channel to give us motivation for making the videos.