Arduino - Piezo Buzzer
|1||×||Arduino UNO or Genuino UNO|
|1||×||USB 2.0 cable type A/B|
About Piezo Buzzer
Piezo Buzzer is used to generate sound, beep or even melody of a song.
Piezo Buzzer usually has two pins:
- Negative (-) pin needs to be connected to GND (0V)
- Positive (+) pin receive the control signal from Arduino
How It Works
- If connecting VCC to the positive pin, piezo buzzer generates the constant sound
- If generating a square wave of the specified frequency (and 50% duty cycle) on the positive pin, the piezo buzzer generates tones. The different frequency makes a different tone. By changing the frequency of the signal on the positive pin, we can create the melody of a song.
Image is developed using Fritzing. Click to enlarge image
How To Program For Piezo Buzzer
- Connect Arduino to PC via USB cable
- Open Arduino IDE, select the right board and port
- On Arduino IDE, Go to File Examples 02.Digital toneMelody example
- Click Upload button on Arduino IDE to upload code to Arduino
- Enjoy the melody
Modifying Arduino Code
Now, we are going to modidy the code to play "Jingle Bells" song.
We only need to change value of two arrays: int melody and int noteDurations.
We are considering to make the video tutorials. If you think the video tutorials are essential, please subscribe to our YouTube channel to give us motivation for making the videos.
- Use Piezo Buzzer to play the song you love
- Automatically make alarm when someone approaches your valuable stuff. Hint: Refer to Arduino - Motion Sensor.
Alternative Piezo Buzzers
The above code also works with the following piezo buzzers:
Piezo Buzzer on Commercial Products
Piezo Buzzer on commercial products is usually very small in size, which can be integrated into small devices.